5.23.2014

Tenley Rae {Birth Story}

I have been so excited to sit down and type out this birth story! It is so different from my other two, and it was so unique. So here is goes....

To start, this pregnancy lasted longer than both my other two. As each day passed, I began to get more and more anxious for my pregnancy to be over. Camden was born 23 days early, and Grayson was born 12 days early. As I was still pregnant at my 39 week appointment, I began to feel like it would never end. I woke up Monday morning {exactly 39 weeks} and headed out for my regular doctor appointment. I had been having regular contractions for a few weeks, and even thought I was possibly in labor a few different times. As I got to my appointment that day, I was hoping to hear that I was making some progress and showing signs that labor would be here soon. My doctor checked me and said I was only about 1cm dilated and the baby's head was very low. But that was about all he said! I left that day and felt discouraged...I was, in fact, going to be pregnant forever!!

The rest of Monday I felt crampy {most likely from my doctor checking me} and was tired. The next morning, however, I woke up feeling great. I was energized and felt like getting out of the house. I ran a few errands, and cleaned the house a bit. But again...it was an uneventful, and "still pregnant" sort of day. That night, in the middle of the night, Grayson woke up with a stomach bug. Wes and I spent most of the night cleaning and comforting our poor, sick little boy. We didn't get much sleep, so the next morning when Wes left for work, my mom came over to help me with Grayson and Cam. We spent our morning watching movies and relaxing while Grayson napped on me a ton. As I sat with him I began to have some painful, but spread out contractions. Of course I didn't think this could be labor, since I had previously had so many "false labor" episodes. Around nap time for the boys I had one contraction that really felt painful. I asked my Mom to call Wes to see if he could come home during his lunch and just sit with me to see if I could be starting labor. He did! I was so excited to see him walk in the door...until he asked me how often I was having contractions. At that point I realized my contractions weren't coming anymore and I felt dumb for asking him to come home. Before he decided to go back to work I asked if we could go on a walk and see if anything started again. We walked for a good length of time and I had a few good, strong contractions, but nothing promising. When we got back home, Grayson had woke up from his nap and wanted to lay with me. So Wes and I brought him into our bed and snuggled with him. As I was laying with him I had a really strong contraction and felt a pop inside. I realized very quickly that my water had just broke. It was the strangest feeling ever; I have never had my water break on it's own before. A feeling of relief came over me, because now I knew there was a reason I had Wes come home from work and I was so glad that now, I was for sure in labor! I jumped up and got all ready to head to the hospital. Thankfully, my Mom was still over {and my Dad had come by also because he wanted to hang out with the boys} so she stayed with the kids while we headed to the hospital.

My plan for this delivery was to do it natural, no pain meds, no epidural. I have always wanted to have a natural birth, but both previous deliveries it didn't work out. Knowing this is the last delivery I will ever have {well, according to our plan} I knew I had to go for it. Thankfully my Mom used to coach natural child-birth classes, and she is a pro at helping and coaching through labor. So I knew if I had her with me, I could do it! 

When we arrived at the hospital they put us in a triage room and checked me...I was already to a 5! I was ecstatic. So thankful I was not just a 1! My water broke at 2:15, and by 3 we were in a labor room. The contractions were coming very frequent at this point, but I was managing them well. We had praise and worship music playing in the room, dim lights, and only Wes and my Mom {she finally made it and left my Dad with the boys} in the room. Around 4, a dear friend showed up who would be taking pictures of the delivery for us, and she just happens to also be a doula. I was so thankful for this support team I had with me. My nurse was also so sweet and loves to take care of Mom's who labor naturally...so she did everything she could to make me comfortable. I didn't have to be hooked up to anything, and they let me stay off the monitors a majority of the time.


 I spent most of my time sitting on a birthing ball, going to the bathroom, or sitting on the bed in weird positions that felt good during the strong contractions. Everything was going great and I was able to talk and laugh in between contractions...I couldn't stop talking about how hungry I was and couldn't wait to be done so I could have a cheeseburger. 

Around 5:30 I began transition. I knew it was, because I thought I was dying and instantly started saying how I was done! I was done with the pain, I was done with labor and I wanted to go home. All logical thoughts at this point...ha! It is a good thing my Mom was there to convince me that it was normal to feel this way, & at this point, my body was doing everything it was supposed to be doing and I would be done very soon! My friend Briana also helped to calm me down and talked me through moaning through the pain instead of trying to hold it in. She was a life saver. I used Wes as my support to lean on through the pain, and used the words from my Mom and Briana to comfort me. 



I definitely had no idea how crazy hard transition would be, but I made it through as my contractions finally hit a point where there was a longer pause in between them. I was able to catch my breath and even talk a little bit more in between. I knew we were getting close to the end because each contraction after that began to feel like I would need to push soon. 


At 6 o'clock I had one contraction and I felt my body basically start pushing all on it's own. My doctor came in and said baby would be out very soon! I had originally wanted Wes to deliver this baby, but in the moment, all I wanted was his hand to support me while I pushed. So he stayed next to me and we let our doctor deliver. 

I only pushed a few times, and let me tell you, this was tough. It was crazy hard and I felt like I couldn't breathe. After giving me a few puffs of oxygen, I regained my strength and pushed until I knew the head was almost out. With all my strength, and with one last push the head came out and everyone started telling me how much hair this baby had! At the moment it didn't seem to matter, I was focused and wanted to finish. One last push and the shoulders were out, and baby just slide out the rest of the way.

 This little surprise baby was out, and the legs were fully crossed. I quickly said, "what is it?!?!" and no one answered. Our doctor had to uncross the legs and peel them apart...that is when I heard Wes say, "It's a girl!!!!!" 

I could not believe it!!!! I thought I would have just started crying...but I was too shocked and excited! All I could do was smile and stare at this little beauty they laid on my chest. 



She came out and made one little sound that sounded just like a girl...then she started crying, and it was music to my ears. Her lungs were so healthy and she began to turn pink right away. I got to hold her and snuggle her as long as I wanted. It was incredible. 

After a little while I asked them to weigh her. I was dying to know how big she was. They took her away and I just laid there are tried to relive what just happened. My water broke at 2:15pm, and our sweet Tenley Rae High was born at 6:14pm. A 4 hour labor, and I did it. My body did what God had created it to do, I had strength and endurance that I never knew I could have. And I birthed a sweet little girl who ended up weighing 8lbs, 6 oz. {her brothers were both 7lbs, 12 oz} She was also 19" long. 



After getting her back in my arms, I was mesmerized. I was holding my girl and I felt complete. {Well, almost complete, once Wes ordered me a cheeseburger, then I was totally complete!!}

After a little while of recovery, they had me get up, get dressed and we walked down the hall to the room we would stay in for the night. It was such a great evening. We just stared at our little beauty, and she nursed all night long. 






The next morning we had a few visitors, including Camden and Grayson. Throughout the day Wes had to go in on a few surgeries since it was technically a work day for him, and well, we were in his hospital, so why not?!  By the evening we were ready to go. Thankfully after Tenley hit the 24 hour mark they were able to release us, and we headed home that night. 

Ever since we have been home, everything has been great. My recovery has been incredible. I have only had to take a little Motrin for pain, and it has actually been for the pain I have had from my milk coming in and her constant nursing, not for pain from delivery. I never tore, and my body has bounced back very quickly. She is now 9 days old and I can't imagine our lives without her already. She is such a sweet little baby and the boys are crazy about her. Grayson calls her "baby sister" and Camden talks about how he wants to protect Tenley. 

As for the difference between her birth and her brothers, I have to say, I am glad I did it natural, but I don't know that I could do it again. Thankfully we don't plan to have any more babies, so I don't think I will have to decide. It was so hard, and so worth it. She is very alert and spent her first 2.5 hours here with her eyes wide open. She nursed when she was a few minutes old and hasn't stopped since. She just has the sweetest personality and we are so in love. 




1 comment:

Leeper's said...

I'm so glad you finally got the birth you wanted along with a sweet girl!!!